Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 2 of the Trip!


Monday, June 29, 2009 09:36AM EST

Nimen hao,

Hello everybody. Another great day today. We went to visit a school today for migrant workers' children. Let me tell you how great and motivated these kids are. They were sooooooooooooooooo sweet and they were happy. They have virtually nothing, but still they wore smiles on their faces and tried to speak with us in English. They also prepared dinner for us and we sat and ate with them. The little girls at my table were so cute. They were trying to teach me Chinese and I was trying to tell them what was the English equivalent to what they were telling me. I wish that American children can come and see these kids in school. They have a small, modest school with no air conditioning and there are more than 40 kids in a class. And each child is sooooooooooo eager to learn. It makes you appreciate what you have. Well, tomorrow we are going to our next destination. We have to wake up at 4:00 a. m. to be ready to leave by a certain time. Ohhhhhhhhhh. I am going to be sooooooooooooooo tired, but hey, that's life right now. Well all, I am off to bed. Again, it may be a day or so, or maybe more before I can write so don't worry. Enjoy the pics!

Tamara Hughes



Sunday, June 28, 2009 09:58AM

Nimen Hao Everybody,

I hope that everyone is doing spectacular! I am. Today was an awesome day. It first started with a visit to a park, whose name I can't remember. We were able to see some senior citizens doing Tai Chi. Let me tell you that some of those people were 90 plus. So folks, we as Americans have to come up!!! It was so peaceful. We were able to see the Temple of Heaven from afar, but we didn't get a chance to go in. After that was THE GREAT WALL! No words can express. It was so serene up there and I really felt like I was doing something by climbing it, although I only hiked up a small portion of the wall. It is soooooooooooooooooooooo steep, and I wasn't prepared for the altitude. We were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up and looking down sort of made you dizzy. There was no railing between you and the edge of the wall so it was a little scary. There was a wall that protected you, but the views from the side were just a little intimidating. I don't consider myself to be afraid of heights, but after that I may have to reconsider. Nonetheless, it was one of the greatest adventures of my life. I can now proudly wear my T-shirt that says, I have climbed the great wall! We took a cable car up and down, which also was a little scary since there is nothing but a cable cord keeping you from plunging down into a deep valley. After the great wall we also had the experience of riding in a rickshaw (I think that's how you spell it.) It was pretty fun. I still don't know how those guys ride those things all day lugging people along, but I applaud them. My driver looked like he was about 15, although he was probably almost 30 or so. Everyone in China looks at least 10 years younger than what they really are in case you didn't know. We then had a local lady to prepare dinner for us in her home. She was an excellent cook and lived in the historical Hutong Quarter of Beijing. After that we came back to the hotel and had meeting that lasted way too long, and here I am now. You guessed it, tired, but content. Tomorrow is our last day here in Beijing. On Tuesday, we are going to Yanji, which they tell us is quite different from Beijing. It's more of a rural place, countryside. So, I'm thinking that things may be a bit underveloped. I don't know if I'll have internet access as freely as I have had here, and I know that we have to be a bit more careful about the water. Beijing, supposedly has spent millions of dollars purifyin it's water system, because of the Olympics of course, but Yanji is in a completely different part of China, so it has not been revamped, so again, I need all of your prayers and well wishes. Well, I'm off to bed. Take care you all and enjoy the pics. I'm so glad that I can share my experiences with you all. I feel like you are here with me!

Tamara



Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:29AM

Nimen Hao all!,

Wow, what a day. I took 58 pictures today, but don't worry. I only sent you half of them. Today was packed full with the good stuff. The first place that we went to was a market. Oh what an experience. You have to bargain for everythng. They give you a price, you give them a much lower price and you go back and forth until you meet somewhere in between where you are satisfied. I usually don't like this process, but today it was fun. I think that I got some pretty good deals on a few things. Although, they could have jipped me. Who knows. The second place that we went to was Tiananmen Square, which is the gateway to the Forbidden City. Thank goodness we were not made to see Mao. Our tour guide also told us that his appearance is very waxy. Ughhh! The Forbidden city though was extraordinary. If you have ever seen the movie, The Last Emperor, then you know about the Forbidden City. It was like going back into time. We later visited a silk factory where we were given a presentation on how silk is made. It was quite interesting, and the silk was beautiful, but it stayed in the store on the rack. It was quite expensive. We then went to see a presentation of opera segments at a tea house. This is kind of like a dinner theater. We saw Chinese acrobatics and kung fu. Of course you know we had a huge Chinese lunch and dinner followed by visits to the squats. Surprisingly though, there were a few western toilets that were available today. I was pleasantly surprised. Well guys, I am pooped. Tomorrow we are going to go to the Great Wall and I am almost beside myself with excitement, but I think that it is going to be hot and humid and I hear that the climb is no joke. Nevertheless, I am excited to go. Well, off to bed.

Until tomorrow,

Tamara


Friday, June 26, 2009 09:33AM EST

Hello all!

Well today, you guessed it, was full of lectures. But, we went to one of the best places that I think that we have been to thus far. This school, the Beijing School of Language and Culture, treated us like royalty. We had an elegant room that was fit for government officials. We had an even bigger banquet, that had the most delicious food that we've eaten since we've been here. The Vice-President came to give us an official welcome. And, they gave us gifts. They were soooooo nice. After that we went to a presentation on AIDS in China. It was really interesting, but somehow we ended up discussing the H1N1 virus (AKA SWINE FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). The doctor was quite comedic. And, after that, we went to the Bird's Nest and the Bubble thingy (you know, where they swam for the Olympics.) It was pretty cool. But, we didn't get to go in because we were late. AGHHHHHHH!!!! I was bitter, but I'm over it now. The squat toilet was visited several times today, I'm kinda over that now. And guess what we ate. No go ahead and guess. No, no, keep guessing. You're wrong, CHINESE FOOD!! :) My playful banter probably suggests how tired I am, so with that said, I'm off to bed. Tomorrow we're going to the Forbidden City and Tian' an Men Square. A little interesting fact: Mao (I think that's how it's spelled) is buried in the Square in a building. Well, actually not buried, preserved. Every night he is lowered into a chamber that contains (I forget what it's called but whatever that gas is that's used to freeze dry things) oh yeah, nitrous oxide I think, and he is frozen. For the viewing pleasure of the visitors he is lifted up and thawed out. So he hasn't changed since they buried, no preserved him back in the 70s?. Now, we've heard that recently because of all of the freezing and thawing on a continual basis that his ear fell off and they had to sow it back on. No, I'm not making this up. Also, supposedly, the soldiers there make people line up to go in and see Mao. Now, this isn't really something that I want to see, but hey. I guess you only live once, right. We'll see how that plays out and I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Off to bed,

Tamara

Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:02AM EST

Nimen hao all,

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!! for those of you that didn't know. And what a great birthday it was. In case you're wondering I'm the big 30 now!!! The ultimate gift for me was already granted. This experience! It is just such a blessing. The more I think about it the more honored I feel. All the group members sang happy birthday to me in whatever language they teach. The languages were French, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, and Lakoi (a Native American language). It was quite the experience. We also went to McDonald's today, which was quite a treat and different and the same at the same time. They still have all of the favorites, but they have other things. For example, instead of apple pie they have mango and taro pie. I had the mango pie and it was pretty good. I also had a QP with cheese, but it had cucumber (not pickle) and some kind of orange spicy sauce on it. It wasn't too bad, just different. It was so nice getting a break from Chinese food, although I think that our program director didn't like the idea of us wanting to go to McDonald's. I guess he just sort of gave in unwillingly. I don't know. As for the days events, you know what they were. Meetings, seminars, presentations, etc... We went to two of the best Universities here in Beijing. I have included pictures for your viewing pleasure. And, let me say, I had to break down and use the squat toilet, AGAIN!!!!! I feel like that's going to become the norm in a little bit. The first university had no western toilets, and we were there for a LONG TIME........................ And, it's close to 92 degrees and we have to drink plenty of water because we have to walk miles in a day. And, this time the stalls had no doors and I absolutely refused to go in front of people so I had to lock the door. Well, let me tell you that they were banging on the door and even tried to pull it open a few times, but I succeeded in keeping them out! :) Well, afterwards I unlocked the door and I proceeded to wash my hands and what do you know, a girl comes in and does what she has to do. I just couldn't believe it. Talk about cultural differences. Also, I didn't tell you this before, but when children have to go, they let them go, anywhere, in public, at anytime, in any manner, on any surface, grass, street, sidewalk, etc... (Make an inference). That's all I'll say about that. Well, I think that's enough for the day. Oh, and thank you all so much for the emails. I read them every night. I can't really respond to everyone right now because I have to share this Internet access with my roommate and I don't have that much time to write. Oh, and Mr. Downs. You can do the blog for me if you like. I don't think that I can get to it. Talk to you soon.

Tamara Hughes

1 comment:

  1. I am loving this glimpse into your life in China! Tamara, thanks so much for your pictures and details -I am praying for your safety on the trip and your safe return home. Keep the info coming, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete